Wednesday, August 17, 2011
The bamboo leaves rustle noisily. It is raining, pouring water from the sky. A thunder just boomed, indicating a lightning struck close. My son just walked in and announced he had turned off the modem. I will turn to 3G on my iphone.
I know the Qur'an mentions when lightning displays, it gives rise to both fear and hope. Should I look up that verse? I have lost my 3G, maybe lightning has struck the tower.
I pick up Asad's Message of the Qur'an, a translation, and the third surah is Al'Imran, The House of Imran. Let me read Asad's introduction of the surah.
The title the House of Imran has been derived from references in verses 33 and 35, to this common origin of a long line of prophets. The House of Imran comprises of Moses and Aaron, whose father was Imran (the Amram of the Bible), and Aaron's descendants, the priestly caste among the Israelites, thus includes Zachariah, John the Baptist, Mary and Jesus.
The surah first 6 verses reads,
(1) Alif. Lam. Mim. (the letters A, L, M)
(2) God. There is no god but Him, the Ever-Living, the Self-Subsistent Fount of All Being.
(3) Step by step has He bestowed upon thee from on high this divine writ, setting forth the truth which confirms earlier revelations: for it is He who has bestowed from on high the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) aforetime, as a guidance unto mankind, and it is He who has bestowed (upon man) the criterion (of judgement between right and wrong).
(4) Behold as for those who are bent on denying God's messages - grievous suffering awaits them, for God is Almighty, Lord of Retribution.
(5) Verily nothing on earth or in heavens is hidden from God.
(6) He it is who shapes you in the wombs as He wills. There is no god but Him, the Exalted in Might, the Truly Wise.
And what is verse 33,
(33) Behold God raised Adam, and Noah, and the house of Abraham, and the house of Imran above all mankind, -