Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What Is Righteousness

My reading of Tafsir Ibn Kathir has entered Surah 1, Al-Fatihah (part 1).  Al-Fatihah means the Opener of the Book.  It is also called Umm Al-Kitab (the Mother of the Book) and The Seven Repeated Ayat of the Glorious Qur'an.  It is also called Al-Hamd (the Praise) and As-Salah (the Prayer).  It is also called Ash-Shifa' (the Cure) and Ar-Ruqyah (the Remedy).

Moving slightly away from my reading of the Tafsir, a few days ago, my son asked me what is the meaning of being a good person.  I don't remember my exact answers to him.  I remember telling him that he is in college learning "ilmu that menfaatkan ummah" (knowledge that benefits mankind) and that that is an act of a good Muslim.  Later, I told him and his brother that they are perfect sons.

I feel the answer is in a verse I came across the translation a few years ago in the book Rights, Religion and Reform by Chandra Muzaffar.  It was Surah Al-Baqarah: Ayat 177 that read:

It is not righteousness 
That ye turn your faces
Towards East or West
But it is righteousness -
To Believe in God
And the Last Day
And the Angels
And the Book
And the Messengers
To spend of your substance,
Out of love for Him,
For your kin,
For orphans,
For the needy,
For the wayfarer,
For those who ask,
And for the ransom of slaves;
To be steadfast in prayer,
And practice regular charity;
To fulfill the contracts
Which ye have made
And to be firm and patient,
In pain (or suffering)
And adversity
And throughout
All periods of panic
Such are the people 
Of truth, the God-fearing.

My note:
We must always be close to Ayat Qur'an and understand the meaning.

6 comments:

  1. It that the combination of Islamic Pillars? We pray to Allah. They are perfect sons InsyaAllah, They are perfect sons Amin. They are, Alhamdulillah. Having children is like letting our hearts walking outside us.

    Could you please translate Bismillahirahmanirrahim in your coming post. I will cite Al-Fatihah right after this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aishah, it is good to know, to observe our religious beliefs as well to our children so that they will grow up to be responsible citizens.
    I love that picture in this posting.
    Di mana tempat ni? Your kampong?
    Have a nice day, bila nothing better to do, drop by for a chat. Have a nice day, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum,

    Ini adalah lawatan balas!

    Nice enty here, very enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam Aisya,
    Hmm.. nice picture you got there.. as orang pulau.. for 12 years.. I did not normally get to see the sawah.. what more to appreciate the scenery that goes with it..
    Agood person..?
    Yeah you got it right..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aslmkm Aishah.
    :) So dats ur name?

    I am happy for U. May U be blessed with the best in this enlightenment and all your holy undertakings.

    I wl try to drop by here to read along with you. But most probably, I would do so very quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, I understand how to come to your blog. I have read all your articles written above, that picture - the house in the middle of the paddy field is an image stuck in my mind. If it is true,that is your grandfather's house in Alor Star. I had been to the house once, very long time ago and your father had not yet married your mother. That is all for the time being,Aishah. Please see my chalets - http://mhut.cz.cc ; someone has done the advertisment for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete